Friday, August 29, 2014

Food on Friday: Homemade Buttermints

I got the recipe from ehow.
 They say:  4 oz. of cream cheese or butter, 1 lb. of powdered sugar, 1 to 2 tsp. of peppermint extract and "some" food coloring

But I used:
4 oz. SOFT butter  (the second time I used 2 oz butter & 2 oz cream cheese)
1 lb. of unsifted powdered sugar
2 tsp. of peppermint extract (1t. McCormick & 1t. Frontier)
2 drops green food coloring* (color was nice)

~It was way TOO dry, so I added 2-2&1/2T milk....then it was too wet, so I added 1/2 C. powdered sugar (sifted this time!) & 1/4 t. more Frontier mint extract

~Rolled into short logs, and cut with a knife into good sized chunks- a little bigger than my thumb.  (they say 1/2" X 12" and cut into 1/2" bits....I just did what felt right)

~ Set them on waxed paper to dry up for 48ish hours, and then popped them into a container with a tight lid and into the fridge till serving time.....

*I used coloring for the following reasons:
1. they were for a party (an after thought was that I should have made 2 colors- pink & blue)
2. I was afraid that they would be a funny unappetizing shade of cream/yellow/whiteish color...
3. with thought #2 in mind, and  I was not sure yet what dish I would serve them on, and did not want them to "clash".   I'm pretty sure that they did not. =)
Leave the cut mints out on the wax paper at room temperature for two days to dry before transferring to an airtight container for storage for two weeks.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_5868832_make-soft-mints.html
Leave the cut mints out on the wax paper at room temperature for two days to dry before transferring to an airtight container for storage for two weeks.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_5868832_make-soft-mints.html

1 comment:

Darleen Weston said...

These look really good!