This top is comfy & cozy--my only complaint is that I did not have quite enough fabric to make it 4-6" longer!
~I used my go-to dress pattern, the retired Simplicity #8071
fabric is a printed flannel, purchased from the Wal*mart dollar bin YEARS ago. (Do they still have a dollar-a-yard-bin?) Mom bought 1 bolt, and I used the rest for night shirts for my folks.
~I lengthened the bodice 2 1/2 inches, so I could wear a belt with it. (but I don't have to)
~I also added an extra inch of fabric to each shoulder back, and gathered it to make it match the front bodice. (Then pinched it out in 2 pleats, at the waist.) ...I need the extra room across the shoulders.
~And I pinched out 2 pleats in the front, so...4 pleats total. (2 in the front, and 2 in the back.) =)
~Short sleeves were all I had the fabric for.
~The zipper is a regular (vintage metal) zipper, set in the side, and upside-down- easier to get in and out of...it turned out very well! And I did not have to try to match the plaid. =)