Simplicity 2936 View "A" blouse, that I cut the sleeve pattern off for the short sleeve, and just flipped it over to add the length to make the sleeve long! And we fitted the tucks after the construction was complete...so we were able to adjust them to fit properly! =)
For Mom's skirt, we started with Simplicity 8910, but we choose to make a real waistband, instead of the elastic that it calls for. We cut 3 panels (width of fabric X 45" long) and gathered and set it onto a waist band... and hemmed it 2" from the floor.
Mom wore my crinoline petticoat, and her blouse is $2-a-yard muslin, and her skirt was navy & green printed plaid that we got at Wal*Mart, YEARS ago- for $1-a-yard, the buttons were salvaged, and the shawl was a gift from our neighbor across the street, so Mom's outfit was pretty cheap! =)
('ll bet that you did not know that it was a dress, not a a skirt!) I made the bodice from Simplicity 9713, view B (the Pilgrim)...
...I just lengthened the sleeves a bit, and folded them back and sewed them down so I could just squeeze my hand through, and then sewed a vintage button on for the effect. (I did not get them in the right place, I think that I'll take them out and try again.) The sleeve pattern had a dart in the elbow and I liked that.
Because darts never fit me right, I decided that rather than having 4 unflattering darts, and rather than spending a lot of time trying to change them, I would have the 2 not-so-funny side darts, and then take the extra material up in the front, with angled pinches...which is kind-of authentic! =)
(Comic relief) I kept swinging back & forth between giddy & excited and woe is me, I'm going out of my mind, and I'm not going to get done on time!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.....and my skirt was made the same as Mom's: "...we started with Simplicity 8910, but we chose to make a real waistband, instead of the elastic that it calls for. We cut 3 panels (width of fabric X 45" long) and gathered and set it onto a waist band... and hemmed it 2" from the floor."
Trying to figure out how to make the waistband in my head work out in "real life"!
...I think I've got it!
...YES! I did it! The waist band is not connected to the bodice at all, so that I could fold it down and wear another skirt over, if I want, and this skirt won't show! =)
Thanks Hannah for coming over to help me with pinning & this step and bolstering my confidence!
I did not have enough fabric left to make a little purse, like I wanted to, so I put in this hidden pocket! ~With the 3 panel skirt, it really is hidden, because it is not on the side like you would expect! =)
This was the first time I ever replaced the zipper (that a pattern called for), with buttons...but I think that I'll do that more often, 'cause I like the way it turned out! =)
Katherine lent me her hoop-skirt, I had never worn one before, and I did not practice before going out! No mishaps, except I stepped on the back, while doing the "do-si-do"! =( My belt is a lovely black velvet, I found it at the Garland Goodwill store for $1.99! My bodice is $2-a-yard muslin, and the skirt was 100% woven, madras type, cotton plaid, that was given to me by a friend~ thanks Gay!
Most of the buttons were salvaged, and the vintage ones were given to me (I think from Grandma). So, my outfit was pretty cheap too! =)
Dad will have some sort of costume next year! We promise!!!