Saturday, September 22, 2018

Fall 2018 Dress 1 of 2


Fun dress....this time I went with brown belt & shoes.  I think that I could also wear a shiny black belt, black shoes (and  optional black leggings).
Pride goes before a fall: I chose a side zipper, so I would not have to match the plaid in the back. Then I forgot, and cut the back anyway...so I sewed it shut, thinking that was better than getting a zipper to line up!

~The fabric is a fine, light weight Blue Plaid woven cotton/polly (60/40?), given to me by some friend...I can't remember if it came from the Hutchins/Jones, Teague/Gann or Gay.  Thank you, Friend!
~I sewed it inside out, because I preferred the calmer "wrong side".
~Yes, I used my go-to pattern, the retired Simplicity #8071  =)  
~And I lengthened the bodice 2 1/2 inches, so I could wear a belt with it.
~The zipper is a regular zipper, set in the side, following the instructions found in a vintage McCall's sewing book. Problem: the how-to is for a left side or back placement, so I did not know to reverse the directions for a RIGHT side zipper....oh well, I made a note in the book for next time!
Mom and I went to Terrell for a
"Not Fade Away, the Ultimate Buddy Holly Experience"
concert last night~ it was fun!
~I added belt loops to this dress, and all the first night I wore it, I fought with my belt. Know why?? I made them too long, so now I need to take them up!
~I added an extra inch of fabric to each shoulder front, and gathered it to make it match the back bodice shoulders.  (Then pinched it out in 2 pleats at the waist.)
~And I pinched out 2 more pleats, so...4 pleats total. =)


 

 

1 comment:

Karl E Falster said...

We have a full dress maker with us here on Falster Farm that I think you would like to know and friend. Her name is Elizabeth. She is back home in Washington, returning in march. I'll forward your blog address to her.