Friday, February 11, 2011

Diary-Free Oatmeal Cookie recipe, made for the O'family


I told Dad that these would not be normal Oatmeal Cookies, because I was making them for the "so-and-so" boys, and they can't have dairy. And he said that the chocolate was funny, but the cookie part was good. I think that that is praise(!) because he loves Oatmeal Cookies, and is kind of picky about them. =) Now to see what Mom says...

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 3/4 cup shortening (I used a little more than 1/2 c. Coconut oil)
  • 1 cup white sugar (I used 3/4c)
  • (I added 1/2tea Vanilla)

  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup mashed bananas
  • 1 3/4 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used chocolate chips instead)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
  3. Cream together the shortening and sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add egg, banana, oatmeal and nuts. Mix well.
  4. Add dry ingredients, mix well and drop by the teaspoon on ungreased cookie sheet.
  5. Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 10-11 minutes or until edges turn lightly brown. Cool on wire rack. Store in a closed container.
My note: They don't spread out- I think that if I made these again I would pat them on the head.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Oatmeal-Cookie/Detail.aspx

These are a few of the comments that I found helpful, but did not necessarily try:

~Mom said: If you put chocolate chips in, then you should leave out the nutmeg.

~Substituted half of the white sugar with brown sugar...added one tsp of vanilla, added lots of fresh blueberries!


~These cookies are amazing!!!! I divided the dough into 3 parts and baked one part just as the recipe states, added walnuts to one part, and mini chocolate chips to the other part. YUMMY!!!!


~The first time I omitted the nuts, added a bit more cinnamon, they turned out great, they stay soft forever. The second time I added dried cranberries and everyone at work loved them!

~I used ww flour. Instead of white sugar, I used a 1/2 cup of succanant with honey and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Also used 1/2 cup of butter instead of the shortening. Great.

~Love these cookies. I always add chocolate chips to get a fix for my chocolate craze.

(Good to know) ~These are fantastic. I used to beg my grandma to make these same exact cookies when I was little. We always made them with chocolate chips. On an interesting note, my grandmother told me that she found this recipe in the newspaper during WWII. It was a good recipe to send to the troops because it shipped well and did not use rationed goods.

~Happy eating!
Adrienne

No comments: