Monday, March 05, 2012

Fun Monday~ 1930's

Have you ever read "Thimble Summer"? I LOVE Elizabeth Enright's books about the Melendy family (click here), but I had never read the book that made her famous. Until January, that is. Thimble Summer is a sweet book about a farm girl, around 1938ish. There are a few loose ends that bothered me, but all in all, I would read it again. And I would give it to my children to read.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Baby Island, was written by Carol Ryrie Brink in 1939. I know that a lot of girls LOVE Caddie Woodlawn (written in 1935), and I have even read that book more times than Baby Island, but I must say that I love this little book!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Funny bit of trivia: During the 1933 filming of Roman Scandals (1933), young Lucille Ball, portraying a slave girl, needed to have her eyebrows entirely shaved off. They never grew back.
(source) I have never seen or heard about this movie before now.

Music:
"It's Gonna Be You" the Ozzie Nelson Orchestra...did you know that Ozzie had an orchestra?!?
"...In October 1935 he (Ozzie) married the band's vocalist Harriet Hilliard. The couple had two children. David & Ricky.

embedded:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S. I also love Winter Cottage, but I can't remember in what year it was set. Click here to read my review.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~Bramblewood Fashion~

2 comments:

Hana - Marmota said...

I've never heard of any of these! Different country, different time!

Tasha said...

I LOVE Ozzie and Harriet! =D