Sunday, July 28, 2019

I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

  "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.  So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do (or say) unto me."   Hebrews 13:5-6  

 

I heard a teacher 'recently' say that this passage was like "don't covet your neighbors stuff".   I'm embarrassed to say exactly how many weeks it took for me to read and re-read finding what comfort I could- until it dawned upon me that yes in a secondary view it does, BUT the primary is plain old LIFE.  Your status/condition in life, etc...and not that you MUST roll over and take it kind of way, but a Divine Resignation during trials, that trusts God as our Father to see us through, and provide a way of escape.  Something like prison camp living- do your best, make the most of it, and yet always keeping your ears & eyes open to escape.  

 

I think that the following verses go along:

 "Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble.  When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet.  Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh.  For the LORD shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken."   Proverbs 3:23-26

 

"The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"   Psalm 27:1

 

I'm not very good at this yet- please pray I'll get better at it~ thanks!

Resignation according to Webster's 1812 Dictionary

3. Quiet submission to the will of Providence; submission without discontent, and with entire acquiescence in the divine dispensations. This is christian resignation.

No comments: