Thursday, December 22, 2011

The First day of Winter~

The First Day of Winter is the day I put away the Scarecrows, and put out the Snowmen. I tried to make it a party, but everyone else had better ways to spend the day. Oh, well. So Mom made a pot of tea (we drank it out of penguin mugs) and we did our own thing! =)
This is the playlist that we created for the occasion~ if you had been here, then we would have let you put some in it too! (we had it set on shuffle 'cause it sounds better like that)



I started the night before by making paper snowflakes while we watched a movie, and then I strung some "twinkle lights" in the living room.


Then, today we got out the snowmen...

...this is just some of our little regiment....

...if you want to see the rest in their natural habitat, you can come over sometime before the first of spring! (Beware, the little guys in the top photo though they look harmless, are actually kin to the Wicked Witch of the West's Flying Monkeys...they are known to fly off the handle and hit unsuspecting people simply trying to mind their own business.)

I traced a snowflake cooky cutter onto thin cardboard (I used an old envelope box & lid and on of those calender inserts, and got 12 snowflakes), and cut them out and gave them 1 coat of craft paint. Paint one side, and after you do 12 it's time to turn them over and paint the other side....

...I tried using hot glue, but we did not like how it turned out, and I tried white glitter, and that was no good. White glitter would be fine if you had colored snowflakes, instead of white...

...so I used "Aleene's ORIGINAL Tacky Glue". Did all kids growing up in the 90's use "Tacky Glue", or is that something only our family used?

...sprinkle on the glitter...

...make sure that you have plenty of glitter...the top of the glitter container comes off, so you can easily put the extra back in...

...shake off excess....

...and set them out to dry, hoping that the cat won't touch them! =)

I actually have no memory of doing this kind of crafting when we were little/younger...I think Mom was afraid that we would get the glitter in our eyes...
(My fingers are crossed...so far so good!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S. Can you think of any other kinds of snow stuff I could make?

No comments: