Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer of No Pants??? ~2012

Sadly, Marigold over at Hideous! Dreadful! Stinky!  announced (here) that she will be unable to host The Summer of NO Pants this year....I think that that is just the saddest news!
(One of last year's post: here)

But then I thought: Why don't I just go ahead and pretend to do it?  I mean, just go ahead and do it all by myself, doing the best I can?!

Monday:
Before

With that (and a friend's wedding on Saturday) on my mind I took all day (off & on really) to cut out and sew a really cute skirt! I decided to try it on before I put the zipper in, and I'm glad that I did....because I squeezed this skirt out of an old house dress*, the right side is cut on THE PERFECT bias and the left is a really nice strait grain.

 Help! What am I going to do with that?!?!?  So I feel like I could cry...it is nice fabric, and it could be really cute! =l

Wednesday:

Pride Goeth Before a Fall

  I approached the skirt with a consciously calm attitude, sewed the first half of the bias waist in, and with many prayers applied the zipper (I had carefully ripped it out of the dress, and shortened it for the skirt). It went in very well- nearly perfect! I even took some pictures:

  Basted closed and the zipper is glued in, ready to sew...


 Seam ripping the basting....


 I zigzag my raw edges to the zipper....


I'm not aware of gloating, but I know (looking back) that I did not give praise to HIM who helped me.  Then it happened...I fell. I'm not sure how many feet, but I forgot to stitch the zipper stop, before I went any further, and as I was closing the zipper to fold & pin the bias tape down...the zipper head flew off into my hand. (I simultaneously yelled NOOOOO!!!!!!)


I thought about crying, but I knew it was my fault, and that it would not really help any...so I got a drink of water, and asked forgiveness as I started seam-ripping.  Thankfully we had a new zipper. And my new skirt was all done before 11:30 p.m.! (Thank you, Lord!)

(I must say~ it was rather odd to remove the zipper from the dress, sew it into the skirt and then remove it again... I then fixed the zipper, and put it in my stash to use on some other project down the road!)

After

 I like how you can see just a peep of the blue bias tape...


 To counter the difference of the Left side V. Right side, I made a bit of a sash...


Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul.  
While I live will I praise the LORD: 
I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.
Psalm 146:1-2

Praise ye the LORD: for it is good to sing praises unto our God; 
for it is pleasant; and praise is comely.
Psalm 147:1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*nothing was really wrong with this dress, just a little faded, my clothes last FOREVER...so I was tired of it. I think that I made this dress when I was 18ish...it's really good fabric that I got on a really good sale at Jo-Ann Fabrics.

1 comment:

Dorothy Explora said...

...i wish i had sewing skills to alter clothing! ;(

dottie
http://theymaysaythatimadreamer.blogspot.com/