I found out about the Sew for Victory Sew Along back in 2013 over at Bramblewood Fashion~ I was unable to fully participate at the time, but I joined the Flicker group, spent an hour-hour & a half searching the web for photos and pictures of old patterns- and I got lots of good ideas...then I went to my boxes of sewing patterns, and pulled out anything that would do as it was, and the things that could be altered...then I compared them to all the similar photos that I had found online, chose the old photo, and the new pattern.
(all remembering that I already own the perfect fabric- a poly-cotton sheet that I picked up at the outlet mall a few years back...I just don't remember what outfit I was planning to use it for at the time!)
In 2014, I was really happy to see that Sew for Victory was happening again =) and I made all kinds of sketches- trying to decided how the dress would really look. I even got the bodice all sewn up! But you know what happened? I ran out of time AND got stumped on the skirt! =(
Enter 2015: I was really eager to really finish the dress, and participate in my very first Sew Along--I went over to LuckyLucille, only to find out that it was the second to last day of Rochelle's new Sew Along "Spring For Cotton". That means that my poly-cotton sheet dress wouldn't count anyway...sigh! But I decided that I would finish that dress Sew Along or no Sew Along- whether the dress fits or not (it does not). And I'd also call it one of my Summer of No Pants* projects. =)
This was the inspiration (thanks BF):
And this is the pattern and fabric I used:
(Oh, and for the first time ever, I tried Mrs. Kluth's gathering trick of simply zig-zagging over dental floss- worked nice!)