Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Summer Of No Pants* 2015 ~ post #5

Dress number five was made out of my Grandmama's Damask table cloth.  If it had turned out, I intended to wear it to my Cousin Laura Ann's wedding back in April.  But it did not.

Good news:
1. Even though I had never sewn with this type of fabric before, it went together VERY well!
2. And the invisible Zip (here) was THE BEST looking one I've ever put in! =)

Bad news:
1. Something went wrong in the bodice: it is oddly too tight (even though it's a pattern that I've made lots of times, and it should have fit).
2. the bodice was too long, but I did not know until after my perfect zipper went in.
3. And the skirt was too long. (I know, I can fix that, but why?!)

How did I finish the raw side-seams?

 First, I trimmed them, then I sewed a second line of stitching farther out...(see photo above)...then I sewed single-fold bias tape to one side, folding over at the arm opening (see below photo).

Last, but not least, I very carefully (so as to only catch the lining and not the dress fabric) hand stitched the single-fold bias tape to the lining, so it is now neat & flat (see below photo)!

I wanted to have a gathered skirt, but the fabric would NOT be hand pleats were the answer:

*SONP not is officially happening this year, but I like to sew, and wear cute dresses & skirts anyway, so I'll just do my own thing....(Summer of No Pants is a Google+ group, and anyone can join & post at anytime.)


Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Too bad it didn't fit Adrienne. It really is a gorgeous dress!

Aunt Laura said...


Mrs. Bee said...

This is the most beautiful one yet...I have a table cloth I was going to make into a dress...I love the color and the beautiful "trim"...I know it isn't really trim!!!

Kimberly S. said...

You're very talented Adrienne!

Aunt Juanita said...

That is gorgeous Adrienne! Just beautiful!!

Christy R. said...

So lovely~