Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Make it New, Make it Better~ Refashioning Clothing

Hello again, SONP friends!
Have you ever seen something hanging in you closet, or on a thrift store rack, and thought "I love the fabric, but the style or size just won't work for me!"???  Sigh.  But should it really end there?

Today, I'd like to encourage you to think about adding the Art of Refashion to your sewing repertoire!

If you like, could you post a link to a favorite refashion post of yours in the comments at the end of this post? I'd LOVE to see them! =)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some of my other projects:
~Jumper into Dress into cute Sundress HERE
~Sheath Dress I made for Mom (it didn't fit right & she never wore it) into a Dress HERE
Beloved Denim Jumper into Skirt HERE
Pink & White Polka-dot dress into Skirt HERE
Watermelon Dress into Skirt  HERE
Jumper into Skirt HERE 
 1990's pullover collared dress with a tie in the back into cute new dress HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Beth, over at "The Renegade Seamstress" (here) is a marvel and an inspiration to me. (like this post!)

If you want a ton of ideas for all kinds of clothing refashions, check out: http://refashionco-op.blogspot.com/

(the baby is my nice "niece", and not my own baby!)


Cut the top off the dress, saving the zipper if you can...

...look at the large piece of "new"  fabric (don't cut the seams open if you don't have to), decide which is the best lay out...it can be really good if you take the time to try different ways, just to make sure that you found the right way!

You may have some original seams make some interesting angles,
don't worry too much about those!

This is the zipper that I took out of the Watermelon Dress,  I just used a wide zig-zag to shorten it.
(I think I went into overkill!)


New skirt on the line....


When I'm not using a waist band, I like to use a contrasting bias tape (here).
(This tape came from my Great-Grandma Nina, if I'm not mistaken)




That's all folks!   Thanks for stopping by!

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   
Please pop over and read other great SONP posts!    #SONP2013
my post on HDS here
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments:

The Davies Family said...

Would you be willing to show me/us how to sew a bias waistband with zipper? Thank you!

Adrienne said...

I would love to~ stay tuned! =)

The Davies Family said...

YAY!! Thank you!!

Adrienne said...

Here it is! (sorry it took so long!) http://adrienneand.blogspot.com/2013/09/sewing-bias-tape-waistband-on-skirt.html